Understanding Power Surges: Protecting Your Home and Electronics

June 20, 2023 by Lilly Gastineau

Understanding Power Surges: Protecting Your Home and Electronics

Power surges are brief spikes in electrical power that can cause significant damage to appliances and electronic devices. These surges can originate from various sources. Approximately 30% of power surges enter homes through power lines, telephone lines, and cable TV/satellite lines, making them the most damaging. The remaining 70% are generated by equipment within the home, such as motors and large appliances cycling on and off.

To safeguard your home or business and protect sensitive electronics, a multi-layered approach is recommended. The first line of defense is the “Main Zone”, which involves installing protectors at the main power panel, cable TV/satellite service, and telephone service. These measures act as the primary safeguard for your entire home.

The second stage of defense is the “Interior Zone”, focusing on protecting sensitive electronics within your home. This can involve using surge protectors or dedicated surge protection devices for individual devices or areas.

Lastly, the “Exterior Zone” provides the third stage of defense, targeting equipment located outside the home, such as air conditioning units, pool pumps, or well pumps. Installing surge protectors specifically designed for these outdoor elements helps prevent damage and prolong their lifespan.

By implementing these protective measures across the main, interior, and exterior zones, you can significantly reduce the risk of power surges damaging your valuable electronics and ensure the safety of your home or business. Don’t wait until it’s too lateā€”take proactive steps to safeguard against power surges and enjoy peace of mind knowing your electronic devices are well-protected.

Learn more about surge protection on our website and reach out to us on our contact form to schedule a site visit with the A-Team to address your surge protection needs!